May 20, 2003

I read the news today, oh boy...


Today the terror alert level was raised to Orange.

Do people have discussions about this?

“Hey Dave, did you hear? The terror alert level has been raised to Code Orange!”

“Wow, thanks Steve! I’ll have to remember my gas mask tomorrow!”


What does this stupid crap mean anyway?! Do I do anything different? No.

Do you do anything different? Probably not.

So, what is the point. Is it some kind of justification in the public’s mind for all the spending that’s going on in the name of “national security?”

This may sound slightly blasphemous to some but, would stuff like this even had made a difference on September 11?

“Hmmmmmmm... maybe I should tell someone about these arab looking men without luggage, purchasing one way plane tickets (with cash no less!) to Los Angeles here in Bangor, Maine. We are at Code Orange, the government wants me to be more vigilant.


Am I the only person that thinks all that’s required is a modicum of common sense? In the words of Ben Grimm...Sheeeessshhhhh!

Not too long ago, Margaret had posted something on her blog written by (if I remember correctly) a Pakistani writer regarding America’s obsession with therapy and analysis. I went back but, the link isn’t there anymore.

The gist was that the United States as a nation was full of people trying to justify their feelings. If there is one lesson to learn from September 11th, I think it’s this: We are a nation of self centered, self indulgent people with a very narrow world view, f**k with us at your peril.

I can’t help but think given all the events since September 11th, if these clowns responsible had been able to look two years down the road they might have thought twice about doing it. I mean think of it. Since they’ve done it we’ve used the event as justification to invade Afghanistan and then Iraq.

Do you feel any safer now than you did on the night of September 10th, 2001?

No comments: